Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Adelaide

At the start of February my boyfriend and I went on a lovely weekend getaway to the beautiful Adelaide. Adelaide is only an hour and a half flight away and is located in South Australia. The flight only cost us $49 (for a one way, no baggage) with Jetstar and we also managed to get our hotel at a discounted price!


We landed really early in the morning and couldn't check into our hotel yet, so we went to Henley Beach. It's just outside of Adelaide and it's the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. The sand is so white and the water is completely clear. I left my camera in my friends car so the only photos I have are on my phone. We were there until about 11 in the morning and it was already close to 40 degree. We had a little swim in the ocean, which was actually the first ocean we swam in since being in Australia! We arrived in October and only went to Adelaide in February!

At 11we decided to go into Adelaide CBD, where our hotel was, and luckily we were able to check in early. We stayed at at the Majestic Rooftop Garden Hotel, just off of Rundle Mall. The room was pretty big with a super comfortable bed. The bathroom was aaaamazing. I could live there. The hotel was very fancy and seemed like a hotel we'd never be able to afford! We booked the hotel with booking.com. Breakfast would have cost us extra so we just went out and about for breakfast.

We spent a while in the hotel because of the heat, but at about lunch time we decided to have a walk through Rundle Street and Rundle Mall. Rundle Street is the main shopping street in Adelaide. It's got a great range of stores and indoor shopping centres as well as loads of food courts. It's a very wide street that's just for pedestrians so no cars or trams to worry about.

I really enjoyed Rundle street, but unfortunately it was way too hot. We just quickly walked around, went inside, ate some food, and went back to the hotel. At this point it was 44 degrees! We went back to Rundle street the next day and had a proper look around. They had this little art type installation with a few pigs walking up to a sculpture bin which was so cute.

We also went into a pet store and looked at puppies. Too cute!

On the second day we started off with a chocolate tour at Haighs Factory. Haighs is an Australian chocolate brand which is all made in Adelaide. My friend worked at the factory so we were able to go on a tour (not take any photos unfortunately) and taste some of the amazing chocolate.

It's the most delicious chocolate I've ever tasted, and we did end up with a little chocolate splurge in the shop. There are also a few stores in Melbourne.

After the tour we went to the Glenelg Beach. Glenelg is another white sanded beach. The temperature was in the 30s that day so we actually had a chance to walk all along the beach and the area itself.


Because it was a monday, everyone was at work and the beach was completely empty. It We ordered some fish and chips for lunch and stayed in Glenelg for most of the day.

We took the tram back from Glenelg into the city and strolled around the CBD. Adelaide is a lot smaller than Melbourne so it's very cute and relaxed. It was very easy to walk around and we didn't get lost once. That evening we went out to dinner at a pub with some friends from Adelaide.

On our final day we woke up super early in the morning to go to the Adelaide market. I really like the Australian markets I've been to so far. They're always massive and have such a huge variety of food, they even had Dutch liquorice! We had some breakfast there and then went to the airport and left!

It was a really great trip and I'd love to go back to Adelaide one day. It was a really fun and relaxing holiday and we saw some amazing beaches. Going to Adelaide was the first time we left Melbourne and actually saw some more of Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment