Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Portfolio

As part of my Professional Practice unit I have to hand in either a physical portfolio or a digital  portfolio. I've already got a digital portfolio (my website), but I don't think that's what I want to hand in. It's a very subjective thing to mark, and I have a feeling my lecturers wouldn't be big fans of my website... 

Anyway, so for Christmas I got a beautiful A3 Box Portfolio from Silverprint with 10 clear sleeves. It's something that my lecturers have recommended several times to different people, so I know they're a big fan. The reason I wanted an A3 sized box is so that it's big enough to see the quality of the photos, but not too big to carry it around. 

Since I only have 10 sleeves, I originally thought I could only have 10 photos. The whole point of a box portfolio is that you can take the photos out of the box and put them next to each other, rather than having them stuck in a book. A lot of my work is made up of series though, so I didn't want to sacrifice just printing one photo out of the series, or printing a series of eight (my ducks) and then only having two photos left! So What I decided to do was use both sides of the sleeves for the same project. For example, the final layout of the photos will be on the front side, and the back side will have one photo to show the detail and the quality of the photograph. 

The image to the right shows this in more detail. The last two images aren't part of my portfolio, I'm only printing them because printing 2 more meant it'll save me £20! The front side will have the circular succession print, and the back will have one landscape shot to show the detail (especially because it's a large format shot). The only ones that won't have a back are the Dutch ornaments, the two photos in The Netherlands, the Musician shot and the "Oldwood Field" shot (9 square images). The first three weren't major projects, so I don't think it's as important, but also the musician shots and the shot in The Netherlands will be about A4 size each, which is still big enough to see the detail. The Oldwood Field photo won't have a back because I feel that the images separately aren't as strong. Together they form the piece, but individually, they wouldn't stand out. 

The reason I went for this selection is because the majority of them are university projects, which is where I learnt everything. They all have a story behind them if an interviewer asks me. The motion blur images, the succession project and the ducks are my absolute favourite projects. I really enjoyed the shopping centre series too and I'm planning on continuing that. I wanted to include the magazine photographs and the musician photos to show I can also use a studio. The houses shots and the Oldwood Field photos are part of my portfolio because interior photography is another genre of photography I really enjoy. Finally, the Dutch ornaments and the photos in The Netherlands aren't part of my university projects but I think they are equally important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment