Hi everyone!

As part of my photography course, I have to track my development on a blog. The posts from September 2011 until January 2012 are part of a module called Project Management, for which I was required to work in a group of eight students to create an exhibition. The blog followed every step we took in order to create a successful gallery. The blog posts starting from September 2012 follow my final year on the course. I'll be documenting my research and analysis of my final year projects, as well as include notes of my Professional Practice unit - which prepares us for a range of post graduate options. Finally it also looks at a project called New Creatives, where I'll be working alongside an artists to help college students get more involved with art.

Friday, October 14, 2011

The Venue

It feels as though the majority of the group has decided to go for the Ultraviolet gallery, although I am still not sure of the venue.I think that Ultraviolet is a bit too small for all 9 of us to exhibit our work as well as have visitors and teas and stuff. If we manage to get another place in the surrounding area it would be fine but I don't think we can have that on its own.

I do still think that the pyramid club is our best option at the moment. Although it is expensive we will have more than enough space to display our work (whether it be an installation, projection, A3 prints etc) as well as being able to have enough space for refreshments and possibly a live band. I'd rather pay extra to have enough space than have too little space. Another thing to consider is wheelchair access. Tyran isn't able to get inside ultraviolet and if he was able to he wouldn't be able to move around. The place also doesn't have running water so to get tea's we would have to get it from somewhere else. 

This is my opinion of the place, although it used to be a gallery space it more typically used as an exhibition for a solo artist - not 9 people! I believe that the negatives outweigh the positives. The only positive is the price, is only £30 for the whole week plus a £60 deposit. 

I have such a strong opinion because I think it's a very important project. It is our first chance in getting connections and promoting ourselves. If we end up in a gallery squashed together and not have enough space for visitors, it wouldn't look very professional. We want to have a nice spacious area where we can have as many visitors as we want, possibly have a live band to get even more visitors and have enough space for teas and cakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment